Tuesday, June 12, 2007

We got there and back again


For those who have followed my blog, sorry that it has been so long since I've been in touch with you. I like reading your e-mails and posts. Here is my e-mail address rob.toren@gmail.com. I'd love to hear from you. We did travel to St. Simon's Island in our new van and it really worked quite well. We stopped half way at David's soon to be wife, Laura's uncle's church in Dublin going and coming. It is a Presbyterian church and it has a handicapped bathroom. Laura's uncle's name is Proctor. He will be participating in the wedding. While at St. Simon's Island we had a nice visit and lunch with Laura's mom at the Beach Club and saw where the wedding and reception will be. Kathie made some decisions for the rehearsal dinner and arranged where we will be staying.

For those that wonder about the mustang with smoking tires at the top of my blog, it is the car I bought a year and a half ago that my son drives in NHRA drag racing. At his last outing in South GA motor sport park he won runner up at the race. There were 57 cars in his class so he had to win quite a few races to reach the final. Unfortunately, he fouled in the final race, but was still able to come away with a nice check and award. It is fun for me to follow Dave by way of phone between races. Dave had a nice write up and pictures in the last National Dragster magazine.

Because of weakness, I have had to use the hoyer lift and over-head lift system. We got a U-harness and it works very well. I haven't had to use it much but, it was like the Lord brought solutions to our problems just when we needed them. We see it all as a part of God's grace and mercy. I have recently read a couple of books, one is Bill Bright's final book called The Journey Home: Finishing with Joy. I had read it last fall, but wanted to reread it. For any one who has a fatal illness or wonders of their final destination it is a great read. The other book I just finished is called Why the Rest Hates the West: Understanding the Roots of Global Rage, by Meic Pearse. It explains that the conflict with radical Islam is not religious but it is cultural. The authors says that the West needs to wake up to what it's culture is doing to the world. If you are in church work or have any interest in sharing your faith with the lost the author's explanation on pages 80 and 81 are worth the price of the book. The other part of the book is about understanding the roots of global rage. He gives a very interesting historical account of how our culture became what it is today.

As I close I'll leave you with this thought: Early in the history of our country a friend of a godly older pastor went to visit him, hearing that he was on his death bed. Expecting to find a man who had one foot in the grave, he left after a joyous visit finding the man had one foot in Heaven. This is the conclusion of Bill Bright's book. I trust it may be said of me, as well. With that I'll leave you until next time. Thank you for your prayers and we pray for you.

No comments: